Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It's been a wonderful experience!!!




So what have I been doing in the last few months…why have I not updated my blog ? Well no particular reason for not updating my blog.. But now I would like to start off my update with my trip to Nehru Institute of Mountaineering for my Basic Mountaineering Course. I promise I will be regular from now on


Wonderful Experience !!

In a world where most are consumed by endless commitments and routine, dreams often take a back seat. As a fairly successful journalist, I believe I have been able to effectively leverage my climbing experiences to prove that one can successfully marry work and outdoor passion to achieve something remarkable for ones own self.
That’s probably one reason that I sought admission to the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering (NIM), Asia’s premier institute of mountaineering to do my Basic course in Mountaineering, a course that teaches you everything from walking in the hills, to packing your back pack to rock climbing to Ice climbing in the glacier, snow craft, lecture sessions on mountaineering and Himalayas and much more..
When I told this to my friends who are far from being trekkers or mountaineers they thought I had kind of lost it. “One month of concentration camp” (well that’s what they thought it was when I gave them a brief on what I had enrolled for) you must be nuts….
Not their fault .. as they associate a month long holiday with a stay in a resort where one could chill and have a good time with all the comforts of life. And mine was a holiday that was a complete contrast of what a holiday should be.
But nothing stops me. And so I set out for Uttarkashi from Mumbai on May 25, 2009 as I had to report at the Institute on 26th.
I reached Uttarkashi main market on 26th afternoon from where the NIM bus would be picking up all the trainees to take them to the Institute. As I landed in the main market from Dehradun, I realise I am not alone. There were several other girls from various parts of the country with their loaded backpacks all set to for the course. I couldn’t wait to get to the institute. I was sitting at the window seat and gaping outside as though i had never been to the mountains before. And then as the bus entered the gates of the sacred Institution my happiness knew no bounds...I realised I was sheepishly grinning to myself and suddenly i notice one of the girls staring at me.
I wasn't a novice to the course. I had heard such a lot from my friends who had done the course that it had half prepared me for the course and i was ready for all eventualities. But, there were several others who had absolutely no clue what they were going to be doing. Most girls I spoke to thought it was going to be an adventure camp and therefore a lot of fun for the next 28 days. Little did they know we were far from having fun.
The Institute demands that you are fit both physically, mentally and medically for the course. So a little amount of training prior to the course is always good. Especially practicing walking with load for at least 2 hours daily.
I being a chronic asthmatic, took more efforts to be fit. I was not sure in the first place if my application would be accepted. But when they did i decided i would give my best shot at this course.
Apart from this being a long standing dream, I also wanted to do the course to break the myth that asthmatics are physically and medically not fit to do mountaineering. I want to be an example to all those asthmatics out there who constantly live in this fear that they cannot do outdoors and therefore deprive themselves of all the fun by living a very restricted and boring life.
But let me tell you no amount of training is enough. I realized that nothing would have prepared me for what I was to face in the coming 28 days. Wake-up at 4.30 in the morning, assemble for physical training at 6.30 am and thereafter have a hectic schedule for the entire day filled with lecture sessions, artificial wall and natural rock climbing training, tent pitching, long treks, etc!
Initially everyone was fine but later on slowly the physical stress and fatigue started to set in. The course is designed in such a manner that the moment you realize you are free for sometime…. The whistle would suddenly blow and it would be time for a fall in…phew…
The instructors well made sure that not a single trainee was sitting idle. There would always be something or the other to do…For many of us city bred individuals sleeping in bunk beds and living a disciplined lifestyle was new.
Girls were aghast to know that we could not even walk in our slippers in the hostel. At all given times one had to make sure that she was wearing shoes when she stepped out of her room. But that’s a reality that we had to live with for one month…..

So what’s a Basic Course?
In this course, beginners are taught the basic techniques of movement on rock, snow and ice. This is achieved through practical training and theoretical knowledge about the various aspects of mountaineering, including conservation of Himalayan environment, preserving health in the mountains, toughen the body by increasing resistance to cold, hunger and fatigue.
The trainees of the Basic course spend initial four to six days at Uttarkashi and Tekhla, where they undergo physical conditioning, toughening up exercises, long walks and extensive rock climbing training. Thereafter, they spend the next 18 days in the mountains; the journey towards base camp involves tow to three intermediate camps, which help the trainees acclimatize. During their stay in the mountains, students are trained in the basic techniques of snow craft and ice craft that help in climbing at high altitudes. On completion of training, basic course students are taken for a height gain, up to altitudes ranging between 16,000 and 19,000 feet.

Since the course was for one whole month and there is so much to share I will be adding to this piece every day from tomorrow.. so watch this space for more……

No comments:

                          The Pandemic and the Mind  Mental Health is a serious issue over the last few months. Children, young adults to Se...